Monday, October 26, 2009

Room to Improve

My car has a sticker that writes: "Know Your Medicine, Ask Your Pharmacist".
When i saw i just now, felt abit ashamed.

I was dispensing to a patient with lots of medications when a police officer with a violent look rushing for a number (waiting ticket). So i paused and passed over a number to him. A chinese man and his daughter was waiting before the police officer, then the chinese girl uttered to his dad: "I thought we came first".

I heard it and explained softly, "Nevermind his has just a short list." Actually doesn't matter coz the man said they will go off and collect the medications later.

When the chinese man finally came for his meds, I explained to him function of each med and taking instructions, briefly.
"I have 3 anti-hypertensives, why i need it so much?"
"Uncle, although all have same function, but they perform the function differently."
"How different? What does Nifedipine do?"
"It's a Calcium-channel blocker"
"Then what is this Metoprolol?"
"It's a Beta-Blocker"
"How does this two meds reduce my blood pressure?"
"Actually..."

I supposed to tell him, Nifedipine is to dilate the blood vessels, and Metoprolol is to reduce heart rate. But i did not. At the moment i just managed to flash back the pharmacological categories, and unable to explain to him the mechanism of actions in words he know. In the process I was staring at a long line of patients waiting for me to dispense.

From now on i want to be more dedicated in performing my duty as drug information provider. And, hope the nextime i flip back this post, i've already improve alot more...

No comments:

天空对我的意义

从最狭小的空间(厕所)出来,抬头看到一望无际的天空; 我的心胸,应该要像天空般辽阔,能够包容万事、万物。 高僧们,对赞美嗤之以鼻,对批评趋之若骛; 这是修行人真正的傲骨,不是追求表面的提升。